Sunday, October 6, 2013

SEPTEMBER 1, 2013

Well hello everybody:)
We had quite the week this week!! It was so fun and lots of spiritual uplifting experiences! So, first, to explain the title of this email (Damang!!) Damang means spider in Ilonggo. The reason for that title is last night, Elder Parry and I had a battle with a damang. When I say a battle, I mean it. This thing was HUGE and mean! He was roughly just larger than the size of my hand and quicker than lightning. Elder Parry noticed him behind me and so kindly pointed him out so then our battle commenced. After roughly 25 minutes of us chasing him with a 9 foot pole trying to smash him and him running at us every time we missed, we were able to win by busting out the permetherin. It was a fairly exhausting battle that eventually we came out champions. I am sure it was fairly entertaining to see two 19 year old young men running from a spider, but it literally felt like the scene from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. He was massive and was out to get us. He is now shriveled up, out side on our porch.
Next, I caught a couple tikis. That may not seem like much but those suckers are also fast. I think my reflexes are getting better!! I put one of them on my tie and wore him around for a little bit. I guess he didn't want to move:) Lizards are much more friendly than spiders, unless they are a toko. They aren't nice at all, just fun to poke with a broom:)
Sister B has made almost a full recovery! She is walking around and working full days again so they were able to go to church! That was so exciting! Their spirits are so much higher now! Brother B is drawing me a picture of our family (the one at the MTC) He is really talented and has drawn pictures for President Lopez and Bishop Villamore. Count that as my first souvenir picked up.

Sister BB and M didn't come to church again this week and we weren't able to teach Sister M because she has been out of town for a while. Hopefully that will pick back up this week. We also came to the conclusion that Basketball isn't going to work because the Church is too far away from our area. We have a hard time getting people to go to church once a week, let alone twice. Maybe it will work better for other sets of missionaries that are also testing it. However, on the bright side. Sister R and her Mom are progressing at a lightning speed! R is scheduled for the 21 of September to be baptized and hopefully her mom the week after. We just have to find out her marital status before we can give her a set date. All is going well though and we are loving the work here in Fabrika. Transfers are on Sept. 11 and I pray that I will stay here so that I can see R and her Mom baptized! However, I will go where the Lord wants me to go. I will find out what will happen on the transfer day that Tuesday.
Nate- Way cool! I am glad that you got a job! Just remember that you are new to that scene and have a lot to learn! Take criticism well and learn everything you can from your coworkers. I hope it is a positive experience for you! Also, congrats on Homecoming! That is way cool! I never was royalty but that could be because I wasn't as big of a stud as you are:) Do your best in school this year and kill it in debate! Tell everyone there hello for me!
Ali- Hi! Cool picture! See all the cool things you can do with your cheer leading! What a talent that God has given you! Remember D&C 46 or Moroni 10. Foster your gifts and use them often! How is your job? Is it getting better? How are your classes this year? Junior year was the hardest year of school for me but don't be discouraged! Keep your head high and turn to the Lord for help and you will always find it!
Grady- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I can't believe that you will be 13! Sorry I won't be there but just know that I wish you the best birthday and I hope you enjoy it as well. I was thinking and have been looking for things to get you but I don't know what. I need ideas! Please give me ideas that you would like from the Philippines.
Ethan- How is my youngest brother doing! Do you like school this year so far? What friends are you playing with at recess? I want to hear from you!!!
Mom and Dad- I actually started this email before you sent yours (Mom)! Weird... Sister B is feeling better! See my earlier notes. She is a less active member, not an investigator. I don't know if I ever told you that. We have rescuing efforts along our proselyting efforts so we visit less active members too!  Thanks Dad for sharing your testimony on Priesthood! I too have been humbled by its power and am grateful for the presence of it in my life! Thank you for always living worthy to give me blessings when I needed them. We will definitely judge at debate tournaments when I get back! Thanks for keeping me in your prayers! I have a quote I would like to share with you from Elder Maxwell: "God gives the picks and shovels to the 'chosen' because they are willing  to go to work and get callouses on their hands. They may not be the best or most capable, but they are the most available." I know this is true because I am by no means the best for this mission, I just made myself available and let God refine me. I ran into a couple of Pentecostal missionaries the other day and the definitely belittled me because of my lack of knowledge of Ilonggo. However, I was so proud to say that I was a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints because I know that through the gifts of the spirit, diligently seeking the companionship of the Holy Ghost, and through constant repentance in order to become a more worthy servant, I will become qualified in God for this purpose. I love my mission and can't wait to tell you all about it in person! Mom I only have 20 fast Sundays til I get home! I have had three since I left and I get home before fast Sunday in June of 2015! I can't wait to hear from you all again next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment